Friday 27 April 2012

To Fangirl (verb. To have strong reactions to certain awesome things. Usually exhibited in teenage females).


If I need a reason for this post, here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ya9pQzIcQ

So, I know I'm not a great blogger, but I'm kind of just doing this for fun, so whatever. I guess I'll just spew what's on my mind.
Apologies. I'm new here.
(If anyone has tips, I'm all ears. In fact, if you have tips, I'll take you to a planet where everyone is all ears.)
Anyway … I'm feeling really nostalgic right now, because I watched some Harry Potter fan-videos on YouTube. I'm so glad God gave us stories. And England.

Abandon ship. I'm swimming over the pond. I will use my psychic paper to get a passport. I will jump in the TARDIS to investigate a mysterious murder in Hogsmeade.

I've been feeling like this for a few days. Just desperate to get back to London.

Oh, what England has done for us.
Harry Potter! The atmosphere of it, the believability of every character, the twists, the turns, the surprises. The joy of everyday life with the golden trio, those heartwrenching, weep-like-a-baby times. Like when Harry announced he wasn't going back to Hogwarts for book seven, and your/our/my childhood gasped in shock.
Lord of the Rings. Fantasy at not only its best, but it seems, its truest. Pick up any fantasy book, and you'll find something from this trilogy. Right? It seems like it almost defines the genre. The scale, the detail, the epicness.
Doctor Who! Okay, so I'm a little bit abnormal to enjoy it so much. But I honestly think that if someone finds absolutely nothing that they love about this show, all that's happened is that they've seen the wrong episodes. Of course, that theory is pretty much defeated by my parents, who were even able to scoff at 'Blink' … but anyway…
Sherlock. You know what - just, the BBC. They're amazing. Steven Moffat. Mark Gatiss.

If you're not convinced, take a look at your bookshelf. Narnia. James Herriot. Shakespeare. 

Not to say that North Americans can't write and dream: Earnest Hemingway is my personal favourite storyteller. But the British have got something going on.

Take me away to that damp little island.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Micah!

    If I never visit anywhere else in the world, I at least want to visit England.

    Oh, and as for tips on blogging... this lady has some great advice about blogging from a marketing perspective: Laura B. Writer

    And this site is all about blogging: ProBlogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're not perfectly normal, I'll be imperfectly abnormal with you. I just need to be British a lot. Not to mention, they turn out some of the best actors ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!
      I have that need a lot too. Oh, yes, you've got to love British actors!

      Delete